Items sold by MFI Medical and shipped to locations in the US, including territories, may be subject to tax.
The amount of tax charged on your order depends on many factors including the following:
- The identity of the seller
- The type of item or service purchased
- The time and location of fulfillment
- The shipment or delivery address of your order
These factors can change between the time you place an order and when your shipment is complete. As a result, the tax calculated on your order may change. We provide a sales tax estimate when confirming an order. Actual sales tax amount may then be updated later when your order is finalized and completed.
The tax rate applied to your order will be the combined state and local rates of the address where your order is delivered to or fulfilled from. For example, if you live in a state that does not impose a sales tax, you may still see tax calculated on your order if shipped to another state. Moreover, the tax rates applied to your order may also be different for a variety of reasons, such as a shipment to a residential home versus a business address. Also, the total selling price of an item will generally include item-level shipping and handling charges, and item level discounts. If applied at an order level, these charges may be allocated to the individual items in an order.
Items sold by MFI Medical that are shipped to destinations in the following states and US territories may be subject to tax:
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
Alabama* Seller will collect the simplified sellers use tax on taxable transactions delivered into Alabama and the tax will be remitted on the customer’s behalf to the Alabama Department of Revenue. Seller’s program account number is SSU-R010367962.
Note: No tax is charged when purchasing gift cards; however, purchases paid for with gift cards may be subject to tax.
MFI Tax Exemption Program (MFI-TEP)
Individuals, businesses, organizations or agencies may qualify to make tax-exempt purchases. Our MFI Tax Exemption Program supports tax-exempt purchases for sales sold by MFI Medical.
Make sure that you have all the necessary information for enrollment:
- Territory/state in which you wish to enroll
- Entity type of your organization
- Organizations address
- Exemption numbers or exemption form* (if applicable)
Note: Some state or U.S. territory exemptions are only issued by their respective taxing authorities. If you have such an exemption, you will be required to submit a copy of your certificate for enrollment. Eligible certificates include a state resale certificate, tax exemption certificate, or other acceptable proof of tax exemption for the state or US territory where the items will be shipped.
Tax doesn't generally apply to purchases made by the United States government. In order to document that a sale has been made to an agent of the U.S. government, MFI requires a copy of one of the following to enroll in MFI's Tax Exemption Program:
- Federal tax ID certificate
- Certificate of exempt status or affidavit
- Government voucher
Government Services Administration (GSA) Purchases:
Apply for MFI Tax Exemption Program
To apply for tax-exempt status, please fill out the form below. Our team will process your request and confirm your tax exemption status in 1-2 business days.
Please keep in mind invoices cannot be adjusted to remove tax after a customer has placed an order. If you require an invoice that does not show a sales tax charge, please wait to submit your order and payment until you have received confirmation your account is tax-exempt with MFI Medical.
Request Tax Refund
MFI supports tax refunds for customers which qualify for the MFI Tax Exemption Program.
- Tax exemption must be valid during the date of purchase
- Purchase must be directly from MFI and not through a marketplace (ie; Amazon, eBay, Walmart, etc.)
- Purchase must be made within 90 days of tax refund request
- Complete the application below
- Have your order number available during the application process
- Refunds are normally confirmed within 2 business days and fully refunded within 5 business days.
If you require an invoice that does not show a sales tax charge, please wait to submit your order and payment until you have received confirmation your account is tax-exempt with MFI Medical. Unfortunately, we are unable to alter invoices after an order has been placed.
Request tax exemption or refund
MFI Tax Exemption Program (MFI-TEP) Terms and Conditions
Last updated January 24, 2021
Welcome to the MFI Tax Exemption Program ("MFI-TEP"). MFI Medical Equipment, Inc. and/or its affiliates (collectively, "MFI Medical," "we," or "us") provide MFI-TEP to you subject to these MFI-TEP Terms and Conditions ("Agreement"). BY CLICKING TO ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING ALL TERMS INCORPORATED BY REFERENCE.
- Requirements for Tax Exemption. To request tax-exempt status in a particular state tax jurisdiction, you must provide us with a tax exemption certificate or other equivalent tax exemption documentation or information acceptable to the relevant tax authority. We reserve the right to reject any request in our sole discretion. If we do not reject your request, then subject to the terms of this Agreement, our systems will be configured to not collect sales or use taxes from you for that jurisdiction for purchases you make via MFI-operated website and over the phone during the exempt time period set forth in your tax exemption documentation or information.
- Representations, Warranties and Indemnity. You represent and warrant to us that any tax documentation or information you provide to us is valid and accurately reflects your tax status, and that you will provide updates as needed to ensure the documentation or information remains accurate at all times. All products and services purchased using an account designated with tax-exempt status and shipped to enrolled state tax jurisdictions will not be subject to sales and use tax. You agree to not use your tax-exempt account for the purchase of products or services that are not eligible for tax-exempt status. You further agree that if you do not use the products or services purchased with your tax-exempt account for the purpose for which your tax exemption applies, you will report and pay sales and use taxes directly to the state relating to the products or services to the extent required by law. In order to qualify for exemption, you may be required by law to pay us using your organization’s payment method (e.g., a company credit card) and not a personal payment method (e.g., a personal credit card). To the extent you have a Business Account, you acknowledge that if you, or any business user accounts associated with your Business Account, make tax exempt purchases with a tax exemption certificate associated with the Business Account, that those purchases are made with the tax-exempt organization’s funds. You will comply with such requirement to the extent required by law. You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless for any and all claims relating to your breach of any representation, warranty or obligation set forth in this Section 2.
- Changes in Status; Termination. We may, in our sole discretion and for any reason, refuse access to MFI-TEP, suspend or revoke your tax configuration for a particular state tax jurisdiction, or terminate your participation in MFI-TEP at any time. If you would like to terminate your participation in MFI-TEP, you may do so by contacting MFI customer service.
- Restrictions. MFI-TEP only makes tax-exempt configurations available to customers purchasing products via MFI-operated website and over the phone. In addition, we reserve the right to determine which products are eligible for MFI-TEP tax-exempt configuration. If the purchase entity is left blank on your exemption documentation, it will only apply to any entity participating in MFI-TEP.
- Additional Jurisdictions. If we begin collecting tax in a new state or local tax jurisdiction, then regardless of any documentation you have provided to us in the past, you must request tax exemption status and provide valid exemption documentation for the new jurisdiction in order for us to consider your request for tax exempt configuration in that jurisdiction.
- Changes to Agreement. We reserve the right to make changes to this Agreement at any time in our sole discretion. All changes will be effective upon posting the updated Agreement on the MFIMedical.com web site. YOUR CONTINUED USE OF ATEP FOLLOWING OUR POSTING OF THE UPDATED AGREEMENT WILL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SUCH CHANGES. If any condition of this Agreement is deemed invalid, void or for any reason unenforceable, that condition will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining condition.
- Miscellaneous. In addition to this Agreement, your participation in this program is also subject to the MFIMedical.com Conditions of Use and Privacy Notice (including without limitation the disclaimer of warranties, limitation of liability, disputes, and applicable law provisions of the Conditions of Use) which are incorporated by reference. To the extent that this Agreement is inconsistent with the Conditions of Use or Privacy Notice, this Agreement will control. You may not assign this Agreement, by operation of law or otherwise, without our prior written consent. Subject to that restriction, this Agreement will be binding on, inure to, and be enforceable against the parties and their respective successors and permitted assigns.
Marketplace Sales Tax & Exemption Policies
MFI Medical offers many of our items on martketplaces which include Amazon, eBay, and Walmart. These marketplaces have their own sales tax and exemption policies which are linked below. MFI is not able to assist with any questions or requests regarding sales tax and exemption on these marketplaces. We recommend that you reach out directly to the marketplace with any questions.